Silverlight project inclusion

Dec 7, 2010 at 7:57 PM
Edited Dec 7, 2010 at 7:57 PM

When I attempt to add your silverlight version reference VS immediately removes it without any notification. I'm wondering if this is a signing issue or possibly versioning, but without any error messages it's difficult to debug.  Possible ideas?

VS2010 + SL4 + unsigned project.

Dec 7, 2010 at 8:19 PM

Update: Downloaded the source from the repository and built it myself with no changes and it works great.  Not sure why the zipped SL version wasn't working though.

Coordinator
Dec 8, 2010 at 1:11 PM

Hi damon,

Yes, I noticed this myself last night and began looking into it. What's happening is that my master build script builds the standard framework version first and then the Silverlight variant:

<Target Name="Build">
       <MSBuild Projects="$(SrcDir)\KBCsv.sln" Properties="Configuration=$(Configuration)" Targets="Build" BuildInParallel="True"/>
       <MSBuild Projects="$(SrcDir)\KBCsvSL.sln" Properties="Configuration=$(Configuration)" Targets="Build" BuildInParallel="True"/>
   </Target>

What's odd is that because it's built second, the Silverlight version is actually building against the standard .NET framework. Thus, it's not a valid Silverlight assembly produced. If I swap the order of the two MSBuild invocations, the Silverlight version works (though I ran out of time and suspect perhaps the standard one ceases working).

I think what's going on is that some MSBuild properties are being set and affecting subsequent builds. I wasn't able to resolve it last night but will continue to look at it tonight. At a minimum, I will fix the binaries - even if the build script isn't yet fixed.

Thanks,
Kent

Coordinator
Dec 8, 2010 at 7:55 PM

FYI, I've now fixed the binaries and the build script. I just swapped the order of the build for now, since it results in valid binaries for both scenarios.

Best,
Kent