Downloading And Using the Documentation

Aug 21, 2013 at 8:25 PM
Is anyone else having problems using the documentation? I downloaded the documentation and now am trying to use it but it's like all the contents of the documentation is blank. I'm excited to try and use this software but obviously need the documentation to figure out how to use it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Coordinator
Aug 21, 2013 at 11:23 PM
Hi LukeKess,

This is a Windows security "feature". When you download a .chm file from the web, you need to right-click it and select "Unblock" in order to have the HTML within it render.

Best,
Kent
Aug 22, 2013 at 2:29 PM
Thanks Kent that worked! One more question for you. I've downloaded V2.0.1 but I have no idea how to install it. I've been looking online for awhile now but I can't seem to find a way to do it. Obviously I'm a noob, but still I feel like it shouldn't be this hard... I'm obviously doing something wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Coordinator
Aug 23, 2013 at 12:44 AM
Hi,

You have two broad options:
  1. Binary download via CodePlex (ie. under the Downloads tab)
  2. Install via NuGet
For #1, you do this:
  1. Download the binary package
  2. Unzip it somewhere (usually in a sub-directory of your solution's directory, such as $SOLUTIONROOT$\Lib\KBCsv\
  3. In Visual Studio, expand the project from which you want to use KBCsv, and right-click the References node. Click Add Reference...
  4. Browse to the Kent.Boogaart.KBCsv.dll file you unzipped before and select it
You've now referenced the assembly so you can start using it as per the examples in the documentation. The above instructions assume C#. VB.NET is similar but probably slightly different.

For #2, you do this:
  1. Open your project in Visual Studio
  2. Go to the Package Manager Console window (go to View/Other Windows if you don't see it)
  3. Type:
Install-Package Kent.Boogaart.KBCsv
This will download the package via NuGet and add the reference you need. It's easier and generally the way dependencies are managed these days in .NET.

One other thing you can do to help get started is download the KBCsv source code from the Downloads tab. Unzip it and open it up in Visual Studio and you'll see it has some example projects (one in C# and one in VB.NET). You can right-click these and choose Set as Startup Project, then run them. Take a look at the code corresponding to each example and you'll get a good idea of how to use KBCsv.

Hope that helps,
Kent
Jun 20, 2014 at 10:17 AM
Which version of Visual Studio can be used to open the C# example?